Re: WG2 documents

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 11:55:12 EST

    Keld Jørn Simonsen (by way of Michael Everson) <keld at dkuug dot dk>
    wrote:

    > N2513
    > Proposal Summary Form to add 6 HKSCS symbols
    > Francis Chuen - ITSD
    > Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
    > 2002-10-25
    > http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2513.pdf

    This is another document that requests the addition of precomposed Latin
    letters, while boldly stating "No" in response to Technical
    Justification question #9 ("Can any of the proposed characters be
    encoded using a composed character sequence of either existing
    characters or other proposed characters?").

    I sincerely hope these proposed characters will be rejected just like
    the ones in the Taiwanese Teachers' proposal.

    UP TACK WITH TWO UNDERBAR [sic] is a common circuit symbol, not just in
    Hong Kong but everywhere electronic schematic diagrams can be found.
    GROUND SYMBOL would be a more appropriate name, without the false
    association with the mathematical UP TACK symbols.

    But do these two circuit symbols (the other is RECTANGLE WITH CENTRE
    HORIZONTAL LINE) really belong in a character encoding such as Unicode?
    Should Unicode start encoding symbols for resistors, capacitors,
    transistors, transformers, etc.? These last two proposed characters
    aren't nearly as bad as the precomposed Latin letters, but such
    questions ought to be asked in Tokyo.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California