Re: Mongolian Encoding

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 12:54:52 EST

    On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:30:10 -0800 (PST), timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk wrote:

    > I think that it is intended to use the eqivalent Tibetian character sequences
    > produce the various types of Biruga, rather than MFVSs.

    Sound eminently sensible and Unicode-like to use Tibetan symbols for Mongolian
    where appropriate. Is the following what you're suggesting ?

    1st variant form = U+0F04
    3rd variant form = U+0F04, U+0F05
    4th variant form = U+0F04, U+0F05, U+0F05

    > This does raise an issue
    > over the rotated varient but that perhaps could become the standard glyph for
    > the character in the Mongolian block.

    Is it possible to change the standard glyph for a character once it has been
    carved in stone on the Unicode code charts ? And if it were possible, then how
    would the horizontal form be represented ? There is no exactly corresponding
    form in the Tibetan block.

    Andrew