U+044F U+0308

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 12:43:31 EST

    While persuing a different subject, I come across the notion that in
    late-1930ies Karelian cyrillic orthography (or at least in one of its
    versions), the equivalent of latin "jä" is rendered as an umlauted
    U+044F.

    This makes sence considering the political linguistical goals of the
    successive cyrillization policies of 1935-1940 in the Soviet Union,
    centered on some degree of russification of all orthographies. (A very
    high such degree in Karelian, BTW!)

    Unicode includes pre-composed ciryllic "ä" and "ö" (U+04D2 / U+04D3 and
    U+04E6 / U+04E7), used also in this Karelian cyrillic orthography --
    though seems to lack a precomposed umlauted U+044F.

    No problem, of course, even if I suspect that most browsers will make a
    mess of the я̈-sequence I plan to soon add to a page about
    Karelian flags I edit, at < http://www.flagspot.net/flag/su-rukr.html >.

    (I wander what they ever did to cyrillize "jö"... If "jo" becomes
    U+0451, then perhaps "jö" analogously becomes umlauted U+0451 -- i.e.,
    an U+0435 with a 2x2 block of dots above it... Hm, will search and
    report.)

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 917 511 549 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |