Re: Oh No! Not a new Adobe Glyph List!!!

From: Peter Lofting (lofting@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 16:22:30 EST

    At 9:05 PM +1030 12/31/02, Kevin Brown wrote:
    >OK, but what I can't find in the document is a clear statement regarding
    >what exactly an AGL glyph name achieves that a generic uniXXXX name
    >doesn't - apart from the dubious benefits of human readability.

    The main reasons to have short human-readable glyphnames are:

    (1) to have name identifiers for un-encoded glyphs.
            e.g. A.swash1 A.swash2 A.smallcap A.initialcap A.endflourish
    A_period.swash

    (2) to use these names in writing shaping behaviour rules. This
    applies to both OpenType and AAT (MIF) shaping rules.

    Writing glyph substitution/transformation algebra is much easier if
    the string is short, unbroken, and readable/recognizable. Unicode
    names don't fulfil all these criteria and the uniXXXX format is
    opaque, which prevents debugging and re-use of the shaping rule
    libraries.

    Peter Lofting
    Apple Fonts