Re: Unicode Standards for Indic Scripts

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 11:41:52 EST

    Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > I downloaded the first two issues, but I see no mention to any formal
    > proposal to Unicode. Perhaps it's in the third one.

    The UTC has already reviewed some of the TDIL newsletter documents in
    detail. Some recommendations were made; some characters have been suggested
    for addition; and the results of UTC discussion to date have already been
    returned to the Government of India. Some points and resolutions can be
    found in UTC meeting minutes which are publicly posted on the web site.

    The TDIL newsletters do not contain "formal proposals", but the newsletter
    for May 2001 contained a large number of character requests for various
    scripts. This was discussed by UTC in detail.

    The subsequent TDIL newsletters, in their charts and detailed writeups
    about the scripts, include some characters which are not encoded in
    Unicode. Anyone looking at the TDIL newsletters for info should probably
    check the charts against the Unicode 3.2 charts to see which characters
    those are.

            Rick