Re: Small Latin Letter m with Macron

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:27:08 EST

    At 01:06 AM 1/17/2003, Otto Stolz wrote:

    >John Hudson wrote:
    >>Ken's suggestion works fine, but only on discreetly selected runs of
    >>text. In other words, it would be up to the user *not* to apply the glyph
    >>substitution layout feature in the circumstances Otto describes.
    >
    >>[...] Obviously this is not a plain text solution: markup is required.
    >
    >On the contrary, I think this is a text feature and not a mere rendering
    >issue. Hence, I see two possible solutions:
    >- mark the abbreviation with a particular character (or character sequence),
    > e. g., U+006D U+0304 (abbr.) vs. U+006D U+006D (plain), or
    >- mark the plain (unabbreviated) occurence of the characters,
    > e. g., U+006D U+U+200B U+006D (plain) vs. U+006D U+006D (abbr.).
    >
    >I'd prefer the former one, because it marks the deviation from the
    >prevalent usage.

    The m+macron abbreviation is an example that can be represented by changing
    the text string, so it is something that can be addressed in plain text if
    desired, but many scribal abbreviations cannot be handled in this way,
    which is why I have been exploring a general glyph substitution
    markup/display solution. See, for example,
    http://www.tiro.com/transfer/ctra_example.jpg

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    A book is a visitor whose visits may be rare,
    or frequent, or so continual that it haunts you
    like your shadow and becomes a part of you.
                            - al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals