RE: Suggestions in Unicode Indic FAQ

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 13:45:06 EST

    At 01:20 AM 1/30/2003, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >However, I totally agree with Kent that this funny rendering is *not* a
    >requirement of the Unicode standard, as Keyur Shroff seems to suggest. It is
    >just an example of many "several methods [that] are available to deal with"
    >strange sequences.

    Perhaps there is some confusion here because the use of the dotted circle
    is an explicit recommendation of the MS Indic OpenType spec, which is what
    the majority of Indian font developers are now working with. So there may
    be some confusion between what is expected in the MS spec and what is
    required by Unicode.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    A book is a visitor whose visits may be rare,
    or frequent, or so continual that it haunts you
    like your shadow and becomes a part of you.
                            - al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals