Re: Public Review Issues update

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 01:01:43 EST

    Rick McGowan <rick at unicode dot org> wrote:

    > Please note that the Issues for Public Review have been updated with a
    > new review item regarding tailoring of normalization. Please see issue
    > number 7 on this page:
    >
    > http://www.unicode.org/review/

    This is hardly a formal comment, but "allowing limited tailoring of
    normalization forms" sounds really really scary to me. This would
    basically apply the concept of CESU-8 -- which is not an official UTF,
    but is close enough to cause confusion, and is specified on the Unicode
    Web site as though it were official -- to normalization forms. There
    are already four normalization forms, which is probably greater than the
    number of people outside this mailing list who understand all of them.
    Is it worthwhile to add more special-purpose variations?

    > Also, the review period for issues 1, 4, 5, and 6 is quickly
    approaching,
    > and these items are expected to be discussed at the next UTC meeting
    March
    > 4-7 2003.

    As a reminder, my paper arguing against the proposed deprecation of
    Plane 14 language tags is available in PDF and HTML formats:

    http://home.adelphia.net/~dewell/plane14.pdf
    http://home.adelphia.net/~dewell/plane14.html

    As for Issue #6, "Unicode 4.0 Alpha data," there hasn't been much new to
    review so far. The first Unicode Data.txt file to contain the new
    character assignments in Unicode 4.0 was posted only a few hours ago!
    Eleven days might not be much time to check through 1200+ new
    characters. I will, however, state the obvious by pointing out that the
    Scripts.txt file (among others) needs to be updated to reflect the new
    characters.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California