Re: 4701

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 09:03:10 EST

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Andrew Cunningham wrote:

    > From memory, although my memory may be faulty, there are some slight
    > differences between the animals assigned in the Chinese calendars and
    > the animals assigned in the Vietnamese calendar.

    There's also a Turkic cycle of animals borrowed from the Chinese one, and
    it also has some differences. This has been used in Iran mostly because
    there most of post-Caliph Iranian kings have been Turks in some way or
    other.

    Also, it should be noted that some of the words used in Persian and Turkic
    for these are a little general. For example, we only have a single word
    for referring to a mouse or a rat. I have added the extra meaning of the
    Persian word in parentheses:

    moosh: Mouse (also Rat)
    gaav: Cow (also Ox)
    palang: Leopard
    khargoosh: Rabbit
    nahang: Whale (also Crocodile, actually only Crocodile when the words
                      were first devised)
    maar: Snake
    asb: Horse
    goosfand: Sheep
    meymoon: Monkey
    morgh: Hen
    sag: Dog
    khook: Pig

    There is a Persian poem that lists this all, sometimes using the Arabic
    name of the animal (for the sake of meter, of course):

    "moosh" o "baghar" o "palang" o "khargoosh" shomaar,
    zin chaar cho bogzari "nahang" aayad o "maar",
    aan-gaah be "asb" o "goosfand" ast hesaar,
    "hamdoone" o "morgh" o "sag" o "khook" aakhar-e kaar.

    roozbeh