Re: 4701

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 19:36:50 EST

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Andrew C. West wrote:
    > I have a half-finished page that gives the names of the twelve
    > calendrical animals in the languages of various peoples within and
    > bordering China that have adopted the Chinese calendrical system,
    > available at :
    > http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Calendar/index.html

    That makes a very nice multilingual Unicode demonstration.

    I've typed up my notes on the Vietnamese and Korean ones here, for you:
      http://deall.ohio-state.edu/grads/chan.200/misc/cal.html
    I've checked the native orthography with dictionaries (but would
    appreciate double-checking by natives) but not the definitions (would also
    appreciate that being checked/confirmed). For Korean, I haven't provided
    a transcription nor transliteration (that affects for example, the second
    from last, 'chicken', with regards to the underlying "r").

    I don't know if any of these are bound forms, or if any are not the
    everyday term for those animals, cf., the alternative Chinese term in
    your list for 'dog', gou3, which replaces the quan3 vocabulary item in
    almost all dialects.

    > As I recall, in Vietnamese the rabbit is replaced by a cat, and in

    I've heard of that, but my teacher also said that tho? 'rabbit' was also
    possible.

    Thomas Chan
    tc31@cornell.edu