Re: Plane 14 Tag Deprecation Issue (was Re: VS vs. P14 (was Re: Indic Devanagari Query))

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 12:33:16 EST

    William Overington wrote:
    > Kenneth Whistler now states an opinion as to what the review is about and
    > mentions a file PropList.txt of which I was previously unaware.

    Kenneth Whistler referred to a file that is part of the publicicly and freely provided Unicode
    Character Database, showing various important code point property assignments. I believe that he
    assumed that reviewers of public issues would be familiar with, or else familiarize themselves
    sufficiently with, the Unicode Standard to arrive at an informed opinion.

    > As I have mentioned before I have a particular interest in the use of
    > Unicode in relation to the implementation of my telesoftware invention using
    > the DVB-MHP (Digital Video Broadcasting - Multimedia Home Platform) system.
    > I feel that language tags may potentially be very useful for broadcasts of
    > multimedia packages which include Unicode text files, by direct broadcast
    > satellites across whole continents. ...

    Language tags are likely to be useful for any multimedia system. I would expect there to be
    sufficient bandwidth in a DVB system to carry either out-of-band (meta) data for plain text, or else
    to send richtext of some kind (e.g., XHTML).

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.