RE: Converting EBCDIC to Unicode

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 11:07:50 EST

    Markus,

    > There are some more characters that have the same codes in most
    > EBCDIC codepages, but there are also
    > some where the Latin letters are not all present. (I think some
    > old Japanese EBCDIC codepages
    > replace small Latin letters with Katakana ones.)

    That is true. The half width katakana did replace the small roman letters. In those days one rarely used lower case and Japanese support was usually limited to katakana. It let people replace the print train with an English/Japanese one and not make any other application changes other than messages and text. Just try to write in C/C++ without lower case.

    Carl