Byte order mark (?) mars Unicode homepage

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 10:17:56 EST

    Under Mac OS X, Explorer 5.2.2 displays a euro sign above the red
    title bar, creating a white bar which pushes the red bar down. This
    doesn't occur on other pages.

    Safari doesn't display the euro sign but the white bar is there. Same
    for OmniWeb. I tried to use UnicodeChecker in the OS X Services but
    it said the character which precedes <!doctype HTML PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><html> in the document is
    SPACE. I don't think I believe it....