Re: Converting old TrueType fonts to Unicode

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 16:26:27 EST

    On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 01:12 PM, John Hudson wrote:

    > Another option for re-encoding fonts is to hack the font cmap table
    > itself. The easiest way to do this is probably with Just van Rossum's
    > TTX tool. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/fonttools/. This is a
    > Python-based open source tool that decompiles TTF and OTF fonts to a
    > human-readable XML file, which can then be edited and recompiled to a
    > font. I have used this tool for a variety of purposes, but do not have
    > any experience working on fonts with supplementary plane codepoints,
    > so cannot verify its usefulness for this purpose.

    For people on Mac OS X, there is a set of tools available for download
    from <http://developer.apple.com/fonts/> which, like TTX, can decompile
    table from TrueType and OpenType fonts and let the user edit the
    results. These *do* support astral characters.

    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com
    http://www.tejat.net/