Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 23:07:43 EST

    From: "Roozbeh Pournader" <roozbeh@sharif.edu>

    > I agree, but the Unicode web age is the buggy thing here, not the
    specific
    > browser that was reported earlier to have a problem with it. That's
    all my
    > point. One should fix the Unicode web page instead of that browser.

    If the problem was indeed due to a BOM then the answer *is* to fix the
    browser. Windows 2000 and XP have shipped onto a gazillion machines
    and a lot of people make quick spot changes to HTML pages in notepad.
    The BOM is here and any browser that cannot handle not showing either
    a BOM or a ZBNBSP can be classed as a dumb one.

    But I am not convinced at the report, to tell you the truth. What kind
    of a bug could possibly make a BOM become a Euro? Except for the
    bandwidth that gets sucked up in these conversations that some ISPs
    make money off of, that is. <grin>

    > I also personally belive that any browser should fix the small
    mistakes
    > made by the author (or the authoring software) in some way or other,
    but
    > isn't it better for the author not to make the mistake, or fix it
    when one
    > finds about it?

    Not really, not in this case. Because if you do not want it to be a
    BOM then its a ZWNBSP. And its out there on the internet. A browser
    cannot bury its head in the sand, and making it "illegal" will not
    change anything at all except make more browsers non-conformant.

    MichKa