Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages?

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 09:28:05 EST

    On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Jungshik Shin wrote:

    > Incidentally, it just occurred to me that ftp/ssh clients may offer an
    > user-configurable option for the automatic removal of 'UTF-8 BOM' at
    > the beginning of a text file in UTF-8 when moving files from Windows to
    > non-Windows platforms (Unix/Unix-like OS and MacOS).

    Actually I suggested exactly that at the 'linux-utf8' list yesterday for
    the 'dos2unix' tool that does the CR/LF game.

    > As for web servers, a configurable option can be added to remove
    > UTF-8 BOM at the beginning of text/* files(they serve). For instance,
    > I think it's not hard to write a simple module for Apache(used at Unicode.org
    > web site) to do that.

    I like the idea. This looks much better. Apache already has some feature
    called magic MIME or something along those lines that guesses the MIME
    type based on the signatures at the beginning of files. To be able to
    configure that to remove the UTF-8 BOM automatically and pass an HTTP
    charset of UTF-8 when it was there, would be lovely!

    roozbeh