Re: DBCS and Unicode 3.1

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 18:28:18 EST

    Well, DBCS means "double byte character set" and thus it is always two
    bytes. But its a theoretical definition since there are no actual DBCS
    code pages -- all of the ones that exist are MBCS (multibyte character
    set) since they support both one-byte and two-byte characters.

    There are standards like the Chinese GB18030 which supports characters
    of 1, 2, or 4 bytes -- definitely MBCS again.

    But these code pages are generally owned by outside
    governments/agencies, so there is no rule that they need to update
    when Unicode does. With the exception of gb18030, they are really
    *all* subsets of Unicode.

    MichKa