RE: XML and tags (LONG) (derives from Re: Plane 14 Tag Deprecatio n Issue)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 11:16:06 EST

    William Overington wrote:

    > [... PageDown, Delete ... PageDown, Delete ... PageDown, Delete ...
    > PageDown, Delete ... PageDown, Delete ... PageDown, Delete ...]
    >
    > > 4. The text files being transmitted MUST be .... small (bandwidth is
    > >limited!).
    >
    > Yes, keep the text file size down, bandwidth is limited.
    >
    > > 5. The processing program must be .... small (on-board memory is
    > > limited!).
    >
    > No, for DVB-MHP the on-board memory is fairly large. The
    > transmission link is the key issue.

    Also!

    In this case, the solution is *already* out there, if you just accept to
    adhere to standards (such as Unicode, Java, *XML*, and Plane-14 tags
    deprecation).

    You can throw away my silly toy parsers, and upload on your DVB-MHP a
    *full-fledged* XML browser written in *Java*, such as this one, designed
    exactly for the kind of embedded usage that you described:

            http://www.x-smiles.org/xsmiles_objectives.html

    When the browser is there, just feed it with whatever kind XML file you
    need. You don't even have to decide in advance the file format and encoding:
    among other things, X-Smiles understand XSL Formatting Objects (which is
    kind of style sheets even smarter of the Cascading Style Sheets that I used
    in my example), so you just specify these details directly in the text file.

    _ Marco