Re: [OpenType] PS glyph `phi' vs `phi1'

From: Werner LEMBERG (wl@gnu.org)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 08:27:30 EST

    > phi 03D5
    > phi1 03C6
    >
    > The problem with this is that the preferred 'text' form for the
    > lower Greek alphabet is the glyph shown in Unicode 3.0 Book @
    > U+03C6, which is the glyph found in most fonts having the Greek
    > alphabet, including TNR.

    Thus my suggestion to introduce an additional code point `GREEK
    ALTERNATIVE SYMBOL PHI'...

    > That glyph should not be rightly identified with a glyphname of an
    > alternate glyph (phi1). The fact that Adobe's Symbol font glyph
    > naming was inherently inconsistent with Unicode was known since
    > before Unicode 2.0, but it was deemed irrelevant, since Symbol
    > encoding was not any official standard. Our fonts contain both
    > glyphs (and additional alternates as well) and are consistent with
    > Unicode 3.0.

    Sigh. Is it only me who sees a problem here? <sarcasm> I get the
    impression that most persons answering in this thread think ``Horray,
    my font is compliant to Unicode 3.0, and everything else is not
    important.'' </sarcasm>

    What about the many PS printers which have Adobe's symbol font built
    in? I'm really interested in any constructive idea how to solve the
    problem in a realistic way. Buying new fonts just for this purpose is
    not realistic IMHO.

        Werner