Google translation

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 16:38:55 EST

    I thought I would do a little relaxing translation and typesetting
    today, so I decided to render DIN 16507 "Type sizes" into English
    with the idea of forwarding it to JTC1 SC34/WG2. It's a good standard
    which specifies type sizes in metric rather than in one the Didot,
    Anglo-American, TeX, or PostScript point sizes.

    I thought it would be fun to see how well the Google translation
    engine handled technical text such as this.

    Versalzeichen was not analysed correctly. It should be Versal-zeichen
    'uppercase-letter'. Google thought it was Versalz-eichen 'salt oaks'.
    Valiant I suppose.

    If, by the way, there are German speaking typographers out there who
    would like to look over what I've done, that would be helpful. There
    are some interesting apparent matches between terms and concepts in
    English and German here, such as "body height" matching up with
    "Kegel"...