Re: Currency symbols (was: "Re: guarani sign")

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 14:36:40 EST

    At 12:55 PM 2/25/03 +0000, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:
    >Most (all?) of them are composable, either by
    >means of letter + slash (OSLI) or by ZWJ (for things like "Pta" or
    >"Pts", if anything),

    Using ZWJ for such things is frowned upon. The ZWJ may be used to request a
    ligature between two characters, but it's not a general purpose compositor.

    For currency units, there are two distinct cases: Countries where the
    currency unit is spelled out as a string, and countries where the currency
    unit is a single symbol.

    For example, before the introduction of the euro, most European currencies
    did not have a unique symbol, but were spelled out by a string containing
    an abbreviation of the name of the currency. (e.g. DM for the German Mark,
    BF for Belgian Francs, etc.).

    In some places, the abbreviation is used as if it's a single symbol. In
    that case, it should be treated as a distinct symbol and encoded as
    compatibility character, because otherwise it won't map correctly to
    whatever legacy (i.e. non-unicode) character sets contain it as a single
    symbol.

    We certainly don't want to see character code converters be sensitive to ZWJ.

    A./