RE: Virama after vowel in Indic

From: Andy White (Andy__White@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 17:19:58 EST

    Michael Everson tries hard to understand my point of view, but really he
    does not :-(

    And Michael Everson said:
    > This isn't the same. YA is a consonant, not a vowel sign,

    Actually Ya is a semi-vowel. That is why it behaves like a vowel

    > and it is
    > affected by the preceding VIRAMA.

    Well, that’s where people with an in-depth understanding of the script
    do not agree.

    As I see it, this is your and my line of thinking combined:

    1.
    When Yaphalaa occurs after a consonant it is semantically equivalent to
    a dead consonant plus the letter Ya.
    Therefore in such cases Yaphalaa can be encoded as Consonant+Virama+Ya.
    This is correct because a dead consonant is semantically equivalent to
    'Consonant+Virama' and 'Japhalaa' is semantically equivalent to 'Ya'
    when it occurs after a dead consonant. I reiterate, 'Japhalaa' is
    equivalent to 'Ya'. *Not 'Virama Ya'*.
    (We both agree with this, I hope :-)

    2.
    When Yaphalaa occurs after a vowel, it is *not* is semantically
    equivalent to the vowel plus a Virama plus the letter Ya.
    Such a sequence (with a Virama) is illogical to scholars of Indic
    languages.
    Therefore in such cases Yaphalaa can *not* be encoded as
    Vowel+Virama+Ya.
    (I agree with this, but you do not seem to)

    3.
    Because of some seemingly logical reason not stated above, when Yaphalaa
    occurs after a vowel, it can be encoded as Virama+Ya, despite the
    reasons given in 1 & 2.
    (You agree, I believe)

    4.
    Because you agree with 3, TUS 4.0 is also going to state 3 in its text,
    right?

    If I am mistaken, please let me know!

    Andy