RE: FAQ entry (was: Looking for information on the UnicodeData file)

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 07:51:07 EST

    The names do NOT always provide correct descriptions of the
    characters. This is especially true for "digraph" and "ligature"
    (and in the case of U+00E6 too), as well as (e.g.) SCRIPT CAPITAL P,
    which is neither script, nor capital (it's lowercase), though
    it is a p... In addition, there are different flavours of ligatures.
    E.g., it is quite legitimate to render, e.g. LIGATURE FI as an f followed
    by an i, no ligation, whereas that is not allowed for the ae
    ligature/letter, nor for the oe ligature.

            /kent k

    From: Pim Blokland