Re: Currency symbols

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 20:47:32 EST

    On 2003.02.25, 19:36, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > At 12:55 PM 2/25/03 +0000, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:
    >
    > > Most (all?) of them are composable, either by means of letter +
    > > slash (OSLI) or by ZWJ (for things like "Pta" or "Pts", if
    > > anything),
    >
    > Using ZWJ for such things is frowned upon. The ZWJ [is] not a general
    > purpose compositor.

    Sorry. I mean such an invisible character that would keep those letters
    toghether, even when the inter-character space is expanded, like as if
    they were in the same "lead type". (The same thing I'd use decompose
    U+0133 into i+THING+j.)

    What Unicode character should be used for this, then?

    > The ZWJ may be used to request a ligature between two characters,

    Isn't this the role of CGJ (combining grapheme joiner)? «Indicates that
    the adjoining characters are to be treated as a graphemic unit.»

    > For example, before the introduction of the euro, most European
    > currencies did not have a unique symbol, but were spelled out by a
    > string containing an abbreviation of the name of the currency. (e.g.
    > DM for the German Mark, BF for Belgian Francs, etc.).

    In Portugal, f.i., we used U+0024 as the *decimal point* with two fixed
    decimal digits (though lately there were no valid coins bellow 1$00),
    but money sums were sometimes identifed by "Esc."; more so when the
    proper decimal point symbol was not avaliable.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 917 511 459 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |