Re: Ligatures (qj)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 07:25:02 EST

    John Hudson schreef:

    > Ligatures do not need to be encoded except as underlying
    characters: glyph
    > substitution lookups should be used to map from, e.g. the letters
    f and j
    > to an fj ligature. There are, currently, only a handful of
    applications
    > supporting such substitution

    I thought this was the graphics system's task, not the
    application's. I mean, am I not supposes to be able to simply write
    DrawString('olijfhofje') in my program and have QuickDraw do what it
    takes to ligaturize it all?
    And in that case, it doesn't really matter if the font contains PUA
    codepoints or not. Provided the font's ligature tables are OK, it's
    just as legal to have an fj at, say, U+E70B, as it is to have an fi
    at U+FB01.
    As long as you don't actually put a 0xE70B character in your text.
    This is what Joop meant, I think.

    Pim Blokland