Re: ISO 8859_2 and Windows 1250

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 09:35:30 EST

    SRIDHARAN Aravind wrote:

    > What is the basic difference between ISO 8859_2 and Windows 1250?

    CP 1250 contains all ISO 8859-2 characters, but some of them
    in different code positions, plus about two dozen characters,
    mostly from Unicode's General Punctuation range.
    Cf. <http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html#ISO-8859-2>
    and <http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html#CP1250>.

    > Also what is the basic difference between Cp1250 and Cp1252.

    CP 1250 contains the ISO 8859-1 characters, hence it is not
    suited for slavic laguages.
    Cf. <http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html#ISO-8859-2>
    and <http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html#ISO-8859-1>.

    > What should I do for proper display of data in browser

    > for [Polish and Czech]?

    1. Encode your text in either ISO 8859-2 or UTF-8.
        Both of these are proper ASCII supersets, so there is no
        problem for your HTML, or CSS, tags.
    2. Label your HTML pages properly with the encoding used,
        cf. <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#h-5.2.2>.
    3. Make sure that your HTTP server does not contradict your
        charset label in the HTTP headers it will garnish your
        HTML code with. In case, you are using Apache 1.3, cf.
        <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset>,
        <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addcharset>,
        <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html>, and
        <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html#htaccess>.