Re: sorting order between win98/xp

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 01:33:28 EST

    Dominikus Scherkl <Dominikus dot Scherkl at glueckkanja dot com> wrote:

    >> It is not deterministic string ordering
    > ?!?
    > What's non-deterministic in numeric ordering?
    > Ok, mix of (letter-)strings and numbers maybe not so
    > straight-forward to sort than simply sorting digits
    > by their encoding-value (this is the cause it was
    > not implemented before), but I prefer it always very much.

    The question really isn't whether one sort order is "better" than
    another. It's easy to come up with examples where each method has an
    advantage.

    The real question is whether the same sort option should generate
    different results on different versions of Windows, all other things
    being equal. It would be nice to have an explicit option to sort
    strings by numeric value instead of character-set collating order, but
    not so good if the developer has no control over which method is used,
    and worse if Microsoft did not publicize this change; I don't know if
    they did or not).

    Note that I'm speaking in terms of programmable sorting. I really don't
    care how filenames in Windows Explorer are sorted.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/