List of ligatures for languages of the Indian subcontinent. (from Re: per-character "stories" in a database)

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 14:32:09 EST

    > And nobody out there is volunteering to do it.

    I would do it gladly, but I do not have any skills at Indian languages. My
    opinion is that the list is important for the future of digital interactive
    broadcasting so I am trying to get the list done so that it is ready for use
    in displaying distance education texts in interactive broadcasting
    situations across the Indian subcontinent using my telesoftware invention.

    I was told that I could commission it. I described what I thought was a
    good design brief for the list and asked how much it would cost. I am still
    waiting to find out.

    A lot of the information needed to prepare the numbered list is apparently
    in files, it is just that it is not available to people.

    If the Unicode Consortium really does not wish to include this important
    project within its scope, then it will need to be achieved in some other
    manner. I would have thought that whether the Unicode Consortium will take
    this project on or not should go to a formal board meeting of the Unicode
    Consortium so that there can be no doubt whatsoever of the provenance of any
    decision.

    William Overington