Re: WAS: Arabic country names NOW: link for learning arabic script

From: Edward H Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 21:14:19 EST

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    > have what I hope are correct Arabic names for:
    >
    > Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan,
    > Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia,
    > Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and
    > Yemen.
    >
    > But I can't read Arabic so all I can say is that these names appear to be
    > Arabic character strings. If anybody can check them (and/or supply others),
    > I'd be grateful (e.g. which of the former Soviet Republics besides Tajikistan
    > is switching over to Arabic script?)

    If you want to teach yourself the Arabic script, try:

    http://i-cias.com/babel/arabic/

    Clicking on letters allows you to hear how to pronounce them (via Real
    Player). I think the speaker is northern European, so I have no idea how
    good his accent is. But it's a nice site.

    I find it easier to learn Arabic letters, even with the
    isolated/initial/medial/final forms than, say, Japanese hiragana.