Re: "Importing Musical Fonts"

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 05:51:42 EST

    .
    "brian at email.arizona.edu" wrote,

    > Hello and thank you for taking my question. As a complete beginner to
    Unicode
    > can you please help me to understand the process of importing musical fonts
    > onto a computer generated stave. Is there also Unicode support for Midi ?

    Although as a character encoding standard, Unicode includes characters
    for many of the symbols used in musical notation, the ability to
    display sheet music on screen will depend on a higher level protocol.

    There seem to be a few in existence, including:

    MNML - The Musical Notation Markup Language
    http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/mnml199906.html

    SMDL - Standard Music Description Language, ISO/IEC DIS 10743:1995
    (is mentioned on this page:)
    http://xml.coverpages.org/gen-apps.html

    A Brief Discussion of Standard Music Description Language
    ISO/IEC Draft International Standard 10743
    by Stephen R. Mounce
    www.techno.com/smdl.htm
    (This page appears to be down...)

    Music and Lyrics Markup Language (4ML).