Re: ogonek vs. retroflex hook

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 18:53:36 EST

    Peter,

    > > Note that the example you posted also had an h-ogonek, so the
    > > usage is not limited to vowels, per se.
    >
    > Indeed.
    >

    > > (Although that particular
    > > entity itself is a little bizarre, since you cannot really
    > > nasalize a voiceless glottal fricative.
    >
    > Then you'd be even more surprised at c-ogonek. (IJAL 65, p. 331.)

    Used for what? Unless it is a dyslexic c-cedilla, my guess
    on that one is that it actually *is* a c with a retroflex
    hook, on analogy with IPA U+0282 and U+0290, and then
    following the Americanist tradition of using the c symbol,
    with appropriate diacritics, to represent the relevant
    affricate articulatorily paired with the fricative. Thus
    /c/ for a dental affricate, /c-hacek/ for a palato-alveolar
    affricate, /c-underdot/ for a retroflex affricate, and so on.

    --Ken