Re: Ancient Greek (symbols versus letters and duplicate letters)

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 16:15:16 EDT

    Edward C. D. Hopkins scripsit:

    > If I am typing a Greek inscription, how do I decide whether to use U+03DE
    > GREEK LETTER KOPPA or U+03D8 GREEK LETTER ARCHAIC KOPPA? Aren't these the
    > same letter with a difference only in artistic rendering? Unicode does not
    > use the "symbol" connotation in this case. Why give two artistic forms of
    > the same letter?

    I can't speak to the lunate sigma, but this one is straightforward. If
    you are using koppa as a number, or to index a list, or the like, then
    use U+03DE. If you are using it to transcribe an archaic inscription
    that contains it, then use U+03D8.

    --
    John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
    To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There