Re: Combining Grapheme Joiner

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 21:21:01 EDT

    Eric Rasmussen asked:

    > I assume that U+034F COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER can be used for making
    > Latin digraphs.

    No. It doesn't "make" digraphs.

    > If so, is this something it was intended for?

    What it was intended for was to indicate that a sequence
    of characters (which could be a digraph) are to be treated
    as a unit by some process which is sensitive to the presence
    of a CGJ in such a sequence. An example is some process
    (e.g. collation) which might need to treat some examples of
    "ch" as non-digraphic and other instances of "ch" as a
    unit, i.e. as a digraph.

    For the purposes of *that* process, the sequence <c, CGJ, h>
    would *behave as a digraph*. Some other process, however,
    might totally ignore the CGJ, and for the purposes of that
    *other* process, the sequence <c, CGJ, h> is just a "c" and
    and "h" with a default ignorable character in between them.

    --Ken