RE: Private Use Area

From: David J. Perry (hospes.primus@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 08:07:25 EDT

    Thanks to Peter for putting all the PUA info in one spot with links!

    I have been using PUA codepoints for some time and have not run into
    problems, mostly I suppose because I used the lower end of the PUA
    (starting at U+E000). I notice that only one of the implementations
    collected so far (EUDC for East Asian scripts) uses this part of the
    PUA. One person on the list reported problems with Word assuming that
    characters in this range were Chinese. Can anybody say more about this?
    Under what circumstances does Word this? On my system Word likes to
    changes the font to Arial Unicode MS when I enter certain PUA characters
    (even there is nothing in Arial Unicode at those locations). Could this
    be connected with the problem mentioned above? It is a nuisance.

    Thanks - David