Re: [OT] multilingual support in MS products (was Re: Kurdish ghayn)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:31:04 EDT

    At 02:49 AM 4/27/2003, Thomas Milo wrote:

    >Would it be possible to make the IJ/ij available at last as a single
    >character IJ/ij for Dutch users? MS Office seems to be unaware of this
    >character (apart from correct shifting between upper and lower case). A
    >spell check of IJstijd (correct Unicode) vs. IJstijd (improvised ASCII)
    >approves of the - erroneous! - ASCII form and does not even recognize the
    >horrendous misspelling Ijstijd.
    >
    >The A web search of the Dutch word IJstijd (Ice Age) indicates that the use
    >of this essential character is still practically zero.

    Whenever I've asked Dutch colleagues (type designers and typographers)
    about the IJ/ij characters they've always expressed amazement that these
    characters exist and most reject the need for them. 'Just use I and J'
    seems to be the usual response. Tom is the only Dutch colleague I've ever
    heard express support for the use of these characters. It is true that
    there are special rules for how the letters I and J in combination should
    be typeset in Dutch, but the same is true of lots of digraphs in German and
    other languages that are not encoded as distinct characters and will not
    be. I'm far from convinced that the IJ/ij characters are necessary or that
    their use should be encouraged.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    As for the technique of trimming the nib,
    Do not be greedy!
    I will not reveal its nuances; I withhold its secrets.
                       - Ibn al-Bawwab, Ra'iyyah