Re: Title Case (Was: [OT] multilingual support in MS products

From: John Cowan (
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 14:41:14 EDT

    Marco Cimarosti scripsit:

    > BTW, I wonder whether it makes sense to apply the English-biased concept of
    > "title-case" to languages other than English.

    The *name* may be English-specific, but as long as the three forms
    "decadenza", "Decadenza", and "DECADENZA" are all possible in different
    contexts, then the three operations are all required. The en-us rules
    for titlecasing multi-word strings are *very* language-specific, and
    not everyone agrees on which words are to be capitalized and which not,
    but titlecasing a single word should be meaningful in any language that
    has a cased script.

    Perhaps it should be called "sentence-casing".

    "And it was said that ever after, if any                John Cowan
    man looked in that Stone, unless he had a
    great strength of will to turn it to other
    purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering
    in flame."   --"The Pyre of Denethor"