RE: Accented IJ

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:03:09 EDT

    At 10:34 AM 4/29/2003, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >BTW, you could NOT encode that with the precomposed "?" (U+0133 <ij
    >ligature>), because two accents applied to a single base character would
    >display on top of each other.

    There are ways to do this in an OpenType font, but it is definitely easier
    to do if you start from separate i and j characters, each followed by an
    acute accent and which may be ligated or not during display, than from a
    single ij character, which would need to be split into two glyphs, have the
    acute accents contextually reordered, and then possibly recomposed as a
    2-component ligature. The latter would require half a dozen lookups,
    including contextual substitutions, to handle what could be done done with
    one simple subsitution and one positioning lookup.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    As for the technique of trimming the nib,
    Do not be greedy!
    I will not reveal its nuances; I withhold its secrets.
                       - Ibn al-Bawwab, Ra'iyyah