Re: Implementing on UTF8: toUpper(), toFold(), normalisation, collation, etc

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 12:45:25 EDT

    Dear Mr. Smith,

    That's a lot of different things, some of which are not entirely based
    on Unicode properties. Collation, for example, is strongly affected by
    language.

    Unicode character properties provide the information you need to
    implement many of these functions. The Unicode character data files have
    fields that you can compile into data tables for this purpose.

    Before you go off and do that, you should take a look at libraries that
    have already done it. I recommend a close look at the ICU library
    (http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu) as an excellent starting point.

    You should also look closely at the FAQ and technical documentation on
    the Unicode website, if you have not already.

    I should note that very few applications work directly on UTF-8 byte
    sequences. Most choose to process Unicode using UTF-16 or UTF-32 in
    memory, even if the ultimate representation is UTF-8.

    I hope this helps for starters.

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    --