Question ...

From: Shaun Dippnall (Dippnalls@nu.ac.za)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 04:23:59 EDT

    Hi,

    I am busy writing a piece of mathematical software in Java. My biggest problem was displaying my mathematical text in the appropriate ways. Unicode seems the perfect solution for my needs, however, I have 2 problems:

    1. There are a few symbols that the unicode does not provide. I see that there is a Private Area - can I use this to create a few symbols of my own, and, if so, how do I do this. I can't find any help on this topic.

    2. Only the first 200 or so Unicode symbols are displayed when I run my application, if I for example ask to display String s = ("\u2070"), then a square is returned. Why is this the case?

    If anyone could be of any help I would be extremely thankful.

    Thanks,
    Shaun

    Please find our disclaimer at http://www.disclaimer.nu.ac.za
    <<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>