RE: Question ...

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 08:10:24 EDT

    On Fri, 9 May 2003, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > Shaun Dippnall wrote:
    > > 1. There are a few symbols that the unicode does not
    > > provide.
    >
    > It is probable that the symbols are where you didn't expect to find them
    > (not all mathematical symbols are in the "Mathematical Symbols" block), or

    > > I see that there is a Private Area - can I use this to
    > > create a few symbols of my own, and, if so, how do I do

    > You can do whatever you want with the Private Use Area, but you also have to
    > invent *how* to do it. It is so "private", that there are almost no rules or
    > guidelines for its use.

      For both questions, you may also find some useful information at
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml especially because you're
    writting a mathematical program. Instead of making your own fonts
    and convinving users to use them, you may consider existing fonts
    for mathematical programs and rendering / typesetting (AMS TeX Computer
    Roman Type1 or TeX CM TTFs from Bakoma, Adobe Symbol font, Wolfram's
    Mathematica fonts etc) as long as their licenses allow such a use.

       Jungshik