Re: EBCDIC code pages

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 21:00:56 EDT

    John Cowan <cowan at mercury dot ccil dot org> wrote:

    > I know that the point of codepage 1047 is that it swaps NEL and LF so
    > that mainframe Unix files see the same line-end character as mainframe
    > MVS and VM files. But what does the rest of the page look like? Is
    > it exactly CP 037, or is it a bit different?

    Here are the differences between CP037 and CP1047, derived from the
    character mapping tables at
    http://anubis.dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/charmap/ (best viewed with
    a monospace font):

    CP037 CP1047 Unicode
    ----- ------ -------
    0xBA 0xAD U+005B LEFT SQUARE BRACKET
    0xBB 0xBD U+005D RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET
    0xB0 0x5F U+005E CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT
    0xBD 0xBB U+00A8 DIAERESIS
    0x5F 0xB0 U+00AC NOT SIGN
    0xAD 0xBA U+00DD LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE

    Interestingly, there is no mention of swapping NEL and LF. U+000A LINE
    FEED appears at 0x25 in both of these EBCDIC code pages, and U+0085 NEXT
    LINE appears at 0x15 in both.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/