Re: character groupings in various languages

From: Ben Dougall (bend@freenet.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 07:47:03 EDT

    On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 01:18 am, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > Ben Dougall followed up:

    > With the clarification that Ben provided below, it is now finally
    > becoming clear what he is after.

    :/ sorry for hazyness. if things like vowel/consonant group data were
    available within unidode, i didn't want to not find out about it -
    didn't want to cut myself off from that information.

    > The answer is:
    >
    > Character Properties

    character properties. sounds good to me.

    > ............blishing was done by
    > typographers used to French conventions.
    >
    > String ordering *is* an issue for which language-specific
    > rules need to be established.
    >
    > Character classification, with few exceptions, is not.

    right, i see how character categories do not depend on language, bar a
    few edge cases as you mentioned.

    i see. yup, all *very* useful and understandable information: thanks.
    this has been a niggling question i've had for a while now, and now
    have the answer: character properties and unicode character database.

    thanks-a-lot :)