RE: Decimal separator with more than one character?

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 12:22:00 EDT

    Marion Gunn wrote:
    > Ar 19:26 +0200 2003/05/17, scríobh Marco Cimarosti:
    > >You are
    > >from the United States but you don't speak Unitedstatesian...
    > >
    > >_ Marco
    >
    > Vorrei sapire, ma non e molto difficile spiegarlo:
    >
    > How come the designation 'Yankee' rates cheers in one context
    > (sport, for
    > example), sneers in another, and how can foreigners such as I
    > tell which?

    As for Italian, the only widely understood meaning for "yankee" (It. pron.:
    [ˈjɛŋki]) is "citizen or thing from the United states", and it is highly
    derogatory. It was popularized through the slogan "Yankee go home" in the
    60's.

    All other meanings (the baseball team, the bird, the nickname of Northerners
    during the American civil wars) do exist, but are quite uncommon.

    _ Marco