RE: Decimal separator with more than one character?

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 13:13:44 EDT

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 18:36:14 +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > And, curiously, if they would read it as per the traditional spelling
    > "Peking", they would perhaps have an even closer pronunciation: Pinyin "b"
    > is [p], the "i" element in the "ei" diphtong is very faint, and [k] is as
    > good a pronunciation for "q" as it is [ts] or [tʃ] (but much better than
    [ʒ]
    > or [dʒ]).

    I don't quite follow your argument, but in my wife's dialect of Chinese (a
    variety of South-West Mandarin) Beijing is pronounced [pekin] (where /e/ is an
    rounded open e that off-hand I don't know how to represent in IPA), which is
    remarkably close to the original French transcription of Pékin. This is because
    Northern Mandarin [k] and [k'] only became palatised to U+02A5 (j) and U+02A8
    (q) during the Ming dynasty, and the early Jesuits probably recorded either a
    dialectal or archaic pronounciation of the city's name ... at least that's my
    theory.

    Andrew