RE: Decimal separator with more than one character?

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:58:58 EDT

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 03:52:08 -0700, "Ben Monroe" wrote:

    > Modern usage is generally derogatory, but the term does not seem to be Japanese
    > in origin. Nor does it seem to be "the Japanese ideographic representation of
    > the English word China". Several J-J dictionaries at hand indicate that U+652F
    > U+90A3 (x) first appears in Indian literature and is generally thought to
    be a
    > transliteration from U+79E6 (`), or Qin
    > (http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=79e6 ).
    > One online reference (in Japanese) is from Daijirin:
    > http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=%BB%D9%C6%E1&kind=jn&mode=0
    > ["An expression used by foreigners to refer to China. Thought to come from `
    (J:
    > shin) [U+79E6]. The transliteration for the term used in India found in China
    > for Chinese translations of Buddhist scriptures. Used in Japan from the middle
    > of the Edo period to the end of World War II."]

    Yes, of course you're right, the term Zhina was first used in Chinese
    translations of Sanskrit works, as early as the Tang dynasty (618-907), to refer
    to the country we know as China.

    Nevertheless, I would maintain that the resurrection of this name by the
    Japanese from the latter half of the 19th century was directly influenced by the
    English name for China, and can be considered as the borrowing of a convenient
    pre-existing word to in effect translate the new English word. More particularly
    the pervasive use of the Zhina for China during the period of Japanese
    aggression against China was a deliberate attempt to degrade and disinherit
    China - no longer the "middle kingdom" at the centre of the world, but simply
    meaningless "zhina".

    Andrew