RE: Persian or Farsi? (was RE: Decimal separator with more than o ne c haracter?)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 17:50:59 EDT

    At 09:34 -0700 2003-05-21, Rick Cameron wrote:
    >The people who write content for the website of the President of Iran -
    >http://www.president.ir/ - apparently prefer to use the word Farsi.

    Yeah, as if that is normative.

    >A quick search of Amazon shows dictionaries and other books that use both
    >terms.

    Does it indeed. I have a number of very authoritative dictionaries
    and books which say otherwise. My Oxfords are at home and I am in
    Rome, so I can't check them.

    >Give it up, Michael!

    Pardon me? I've heard this tune before.

    >Clearly 'Farsi' has become an acceptable alternative to 'Persian'.

    This doesn't mean that it is to be preferred in software. Roozbeh
    (our Iranian expert and my good friend) has made his position clear.
    I side with him and his expertise in the area of cultural diversity,
    internationalization, Iranian preferences, and good sense. I note
    that Apple does the same. And ISO 639.