Re: Persian or Farsi?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 13:22:28 EDT

    I'm surprised this debate has continued on the Unicode list as long as
    it has.

    To me, it is *just* like the "Irish" vs. "Gaelic" debate: there is no
    question that the two names refer to the same language, but people are
    being encouraged to use one in preference to the other because of
    political correctness.

    Personally, the only authority I care about on this is ISO 639, and in
    that standard the English name for the language is "Persian." Very
    well, then: my software shall call it "Persian." If ISO 639 called it
    "Farsi," I would use that name instead.

    My first and last 2 rials on this topic,

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/