Re: IPA Null Consonant

From: Thomas M. Widmann (thomas@widmann.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 11:02:18 EDT

    "Chris Jacobs" <c.t.m.jacobs@hccnet.nl> writes:

    > From: "Andrew C. West" <andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu>
    >
    > > Can someone advise me how to represent a null consonant in phonetic
    > > notation using Unicode ?
    > >
    > > I have seen a null consonant initial or final variously
    > > represented as a circle, a slashed circle, a zero or a slashed
    > > zero in printed sources, but am not sure what the correct form of
    > > the glyph is, or how it should be encoded in Unicode.
    > >
    > > Neither my copy of the "Principles of the International Phonetic
    > > Association" or the IPA web site
    > > (http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html) seem to be of any help.
    >
    > The Unicode Standard Version 3.0 p165 says:
    >
    > "Unifications. The IPA symbols are unified as much as possible with other
    > letters, albeit not with nonletter symbols like U+222B ∫ INTEGRAL".
    >
    > So, if you don't find it in the IPA block you should look not for a slashed
    > circle or slashed zero, but for a slashed letter o.
    > And indeed, if we look at U+00F8 LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE ø, the
    > book says that it is used in Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, and IPA

    But that is the symbol for a front rounded vowel in IPA and not at all
    for a null symbol (I think the 'consonant' part is misleading here).
    I'm not sure what the right Unicode symbol is, but my best guess is
    U+2205 EMPTY SET ('∅').

    /Thomas

    --
    Thomas Widmann, MA      +44  141 419 9872       Glasgow, Scotland, EU
    thomas@widmann.uklinux.net             http://www.widmann.uklinux.net