Re: IPA Null Consonant

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 12:33:51 EDT

    From: "Chris Jacobs" <c.t.m.jacobs@hccnet.nl>

    Note that some French dictionnaries use the small letter o with stroke to designate the "eu" sound like in the french plural word "oeux" (normally written with a ligature, meaning "eggs") or "heureux" (meaning happy), or the same sound as the German letter ö in "Österreich" (Austria).

    This is clearly a vowel sign for most readers, so I don't think this letter could be safely used as a "null consonnant". Couldn't it be instead an apostrophe, or the bottom part of a square box (used in technical symbols to replace a blank by a visible glyph) ?

    If you really want to use some similar form, I think that a small and centered black bullet with a long overriding stroke would be good to the confusion with the empty symbol...