Re: Not snazzy (was: New Unicode Savvy Logo)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 08:53:43 EDT

    > there are still (even more) browsers that do not display UTF-8
    > correctly...

    > who still use very often a browser that supports some form their
    > national encoding (SJIS, GB2312, Big5, KSC5601), sometimes with
    > ISO2022-* but shamely do not decode UTF-8 properly (even when the
    > page is correctly labelled...

    > but the same browsers really know how to use Unicode
    > codepoints and even know UTF-8, but refuse to switch to it because
    > they do not interpret the meta information that both the page
    > content and the HTTP header specify! I have found that these
    > browsers simply do not recognize ANY encoding markup or meta-data
    > and always use the user setting (which is stupid in that case,
    > unless the page was incorrectly labelled).

    IIRC, there are still problems with recent versions of browsers in relation
    to NCRs: some understand hex but not decimal, or vice versa.

    Sounds like what's needed more than a logo to identify pages in UTF-8 is a
    logo to identify browsers (and probably HTML editors) that do the right
    thing wrt encoding.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485